Monday, February 7, 2011

Favorite Blog

I have been reading Bill Simmons' articles nonstop since I arrived at school due to a sports obsessed roommate. That being said, when faced with the question of what my favorite blog is, I can easily respond with Simmons' blog or webpage found on espn.com.
With sports journalism as a dream job for my future, I have found myself reading more on sports than ever before in my life. "Sports Guy's World," Simmons' page, has posts on up-to-date sporting events such as the upcoming NBA All-Star game as well as the Superbowl that provide a recap and opinion to what we the readers have seen or can expect. The main reason, however, is the humor and satirical elements that are found in many of Simmons' posts. After taking a satire class my senior year in high school, I discovered how a small joke or reference every now and again can really keep the reader interested in the piece and willing to read more.
Likewise, it is easy to tell that Simmons' knows what he is talking about. Some of the statistics and references that he throws in are undoubtably intriguing as well as original. He has been featured many times on SportsCenter on ESPN as well as PTI on ESPN, both highly respected television programs.
In the end, perhaps it isn't the blog that I like as much as it is the journalist. It is easy to tell when as journalist knows what they are talking about versus when they are told to write on a story completely knew to him/her. Blogs are a great way to get one's opinions and ideas out there, but when those ideas are coming from a non credible source, they are likely to receive few hits and affect a large sum of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment